Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Lets face it, as runners, we put our bodies through a crazy amount of stress. And, I don't know about anyone else, but rest is one of the most difficult things for me to do. If I am not running, I am swimming, practicing yoga or pilates, and/or commuting by bike or foot. I move because I love it. So I get my fun little injury, my pain in the arse. I take 5 days off (from running) and see a chiropractic for the first time (by the way, I highly recommend Scott Snow... he specifically works with athletes and he's a yoga instructor as well). He confirms what the massage therapist said, my left leg is an over worker and there were some things I already knew, my pelvis is rotated, and my shoulders are too f'n tight. After 2 visits to him, I felt like a whole new person and the pain decreased dramatically. And then I was back running, super easy and mellow well at least for two days. Then when Sunday rolled around and Tony invited me on a run in the headlands, I couldn't resist. Two hours and 45 minutes later, I felt the lovely pain in my ass again, not that I never really felt it, but it became manageable. Monday I mellow out and yesterday I rest. I went back to see the chiro as well as a new massage therapist who rocked. It is clear that the pain in my ass is an inflamed/strained gluteus medius/minimus. The best thing I can do is probably rest completely, but that is a challenge when I get around by bike and foot. I am going to do my best and I am so glad that I am noticing improvement. As much as I dislike having to rest, it is good for me. Good to remember that our bodies need time to heal and get stronger. It has also brought a whole new appreciation to balance, both literally within the muscles of my body and also within my entire life. Running is not the only thing I love and it is not what defines me. Don't get me wrong, it is a huge passion, but it is important to realize the other pieces of my life that inspire and challenge me and also know that they may always be in flux and changing (by the way, thanks Devon for our conversation over lunch and your added insight and my mom for reminding me that nothing stays the same). On a completely different note, I got a lovely package of juice from POM that shit is good. I can't wait to try it out pre/post running when I am back at full force. Oh, I forgot to mention, the worse part of a glute strain, sneezing.... I kid you not, that and rolling out of bed in the morning, killers! Later peps... enjoy yourselves!

6 comments:

willgotthardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karin Spirn said...

Glad you're being patient and taking the injury in stride. I get sooo frustrated when I'm injured and can't train, and it's good to remember that it's not the only thing that matters in life. Good luck healing up!

David Ray said...

I feel your frustration. Good job finding relief. Love the pics here and in the last one!

Nicola Gildersleeve said...

Hey! I was just injured for 4 weeks. It sucked but like you said, I realized how much I like doing other things and not running allows you to do that. I am also a bike commuter so I turned to my bike for my workouts. Hills hills hills...killer on a bike and you maintain your cardio and power. Now that I am back running, I didnt feel like I lost any fitness and feel more powerful on hills! Its a perfect way to xtrain!

Jo Lynn said...

Man, is everybody injured right now?

It is sooooo hard to rest, or even slow down a little bit.

Take care. ;)

Rick Gaston said...

Caitlin I wish I didn't know what you mean about sneezing and the involvement of glutes. Two weekends ago I was at Lake Tahoe, on a sailboat watching friends swim the Trans Tahoe Swim Relay. I was at the very back of the boat standing, taking pictures, lost my balance and landed on the deck which was lower by a couple of feet butt first and on my tail bone. Back was about a 45 degree angle to the ground. Hit hard, tailbone and some glute muscles back there are messed up. Sneezing HURTS! Still sore two weeks later but getting better. Hopefully much, much better by the time Headlands Hundred comes around. I also learned I bend from the waist a lot, the last two weeks I've been using my knees more:)