Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sometimes...

... I realize I am a complete nut case. So I come back from Colorado on Monday. I have Tuesday off until 7:30 pm, so I go a bit crazy. I do a nice 18 mile run, swim for an hour and 20 minutes, eat, take a nap, ride 5 miles down to the yoga studio, take a yoga class, teach a yoga class, and then ride 5 miles home. The next day I wake-up and my arse hurts fucking bad. I still run, really short though, like seriously 4 miles and slow, but I still swim. Come Thursday my ass is getting a bit worse, I swim, but don't run (well I tried to run, but knew it was a bad idea and stopped). Friday rolls around and it hurts to even kick in the water, so I cut swimming short. So you'd think I'd figure out by now that running a 50k Saturday is out the picture. Nope. I guess I have just been able to run through things before and wondered if this was just one of those things. I discovered it was not. I ran a 20k and opted for a massage instead of more running. One of the smartest things I've done all year. Well I guess not even attempting it would have been smarter. But my love of running makes me not think straight sometimes.

Ok, so I go get my massage and get this, the massage therapist explains that my left calf is bigger than my right and that the calluses on my left big toe show that I am pushing off with my left foot, but not my right when I stride. She tells me instead of propelling forward with my right foot I am falling slightly back on it and using my hip/arse to support me. Oh, and remember when my foot was bothering me a few months back... it was my right toe. Oh, and the ankle that I twisted 3 weeks ago, my right. So it all makes sense, if my foot or ankle is hurting, how can I roll through my foot and propel forward? So you know what I am doing, taking some time off running. Going to let my body heal up and when I came back, I am going to focus on using my right foot. No more lazy right foot.

Anyway so after my massage, I go grab some beers with my buddy, Ricardo, and that seemed to solve my arse pain for a little bit. He of course knows me too well and asks if I am really going to take time off. This time I told him that I seriously would. In fact, I took a few races off my schedule too. When I was in Colorado, I realized that toning my racing down would be smart. I run because I love it. I loved it before I was racing and now realize that if I push myself too much I won't be able to do what I enjoy. But it is a hard thing finding that balance sometimes. By the way, thanks Mark Tanaka for reminding me I didn't have anything to prove yesterday and Suz for recommending a alcoholic beverage. Here is to resting my arse and learning to not always be a complete running addict (or a nut case for that matter).

5 comments:

Luis Velasquez said...

Ha... nice ass... :)

But you are right.. it is better to take it easy when it hurts.. and of course the truth of the matter is that you have nothing to prove. Take it easy and of course take it easy.. please..

Darn it.. you do so much, it is unbelievable.

Gary Robbins said...

Scary to think what you'll be able to do with two good legs! Take time off, enjoy it, come back stronger!
GR

Rick Gaston said...

Here's to rest and recovery for you.

willgotthardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

I can't imagine any part of you being lazy, but, hmm, with guys, uh, usually one side hangs lower than the other. interesting. Enjoy the rest, beers, more massages...