Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A brief update...


I don’t know what to write. Too many thoughts and far too little has been written. It seems like it was just yesterday that Sam and I were enjoying some pre-race red wine at Luigi’s in Spokane, getting our tattoos in Portland, and making peanut butter bagels as the road danced by our eyes. It was in fact two weeks ago that we ventured up to the USATF 15k Trail Championships in Spokane, Washington. Short races nearly kill me. They’re hard, mentally and physically. I like the challenge… ok maybe not at 7.5k, but at some point post-race and amidst an endorphin rush. Six days prior I ran the San Francisco 1/2. My legs were responding to this, Jack’s workouts, and 100-mile weeks. My mind was apathetic, but my heart was euphoric. The day after the trail championships, Sam and I ran through Forest Park in Portland. It was magical. I love being surrounded by trees. And of course, I was happy to be running further than 9 miles. My heart carted my exhausted legs and mind. At mile 16, with 5 miles to go, I was overwhelmed by sadness. I had to stop. I took a moment to cry, caught by breath, wiped away the tears, and proceeded on to the car. For the remainder of the car travel, I was a sleepy curled up ball. Often stating my uncertainty for my lethargy… ummm duh! After Mt. Washington, I started receiving workouts from Jack Daniels. My body is adjusting and I am loving the hard effort. But, changing intensity does create a response. My body is on a learning curve, feeling strong some days and exhausted on others. When I was coaching high school cross-country we got sweatshirts made that said, “if you push the human body, it will respond.” Speaking of coaching, I am back at it. One day a week, on Wednesdays, I am doing workouts to prepare folks for the North Face 50k and 50 miler. I did my first week of a 16-week series this past week. It was a blast. Not only do I love running, but I love other people that love to run! For those of you who are interested there are a few spots remaining. Check it out on the Endurables website!

More depth to come when I have a second to sort through my thoughts...

No comments: