Tuesday, June 14, 2011

USATF Trail 1/2 Marathon Champs

I can't believe it has almost been two months since Boston and I can't believe I am just getting around to writing a new blog entry. It's difficult to share my awe with unexceptional moments and tidbits. I considered writing about training or about having two births on the same day or just about life, but every time I began writing I would decide to postpone for another week.

I ran the USATF trail half-marathon in Bend, Oregon on Sunday. It was great to be back out on the trails with fast company. It had been a questionable journey leading up to it for a couple reasons. First, I have a client that is about two weeks past her due date and I felt very indecisive about leaving her over the weekend. Two, I have been having some great workouts, but coupled with some failed attempts at racing (I dropped out of Tilden Tough Ten in May after the first mile as I had some numbness/pain in my quad and then I ran a very sad 38:52 10k on Memorial Day for the same reason). But, the actual journey to Bend was great. I had Sam's company along with the amazing scenery of northern California and Oregon.

Race morning I was feeling good and finally ready to race again. The first mile started fast and pretty much stayed that way as we winded down, up, and around some beautiful single tracks. The air was dry and it was hot. I took water at every aid station and I became accustomed to the occasional cough. After about mile 8, Megan-Lund, Katie Caba, and I had unfortunately spaced ourselves out quite evenly and it remained that way to the finish. I finished 5th in 1:26:40. The top five women were all within two minutes of one another! You can see results here. And read more at Scott Dunlap's blog.

I would write more, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment. Sam and I will be leaving for Michigan to visit my family next Wednesday. From there I will be off to Spain, London, Austria, and Italy where some intense mountain races await me! I hope my body is ready to climb again! These mountains look crazy! More to come regarding my summer adventures and life...

2 comments:

trailturtle said...

Good luck to you, Caitlin.
Have fun with all of that international trail racing--yeah, keep it fun, and you'll shine on those trails! Just remember to book aisle seats on those planes so you can get up frequently and keep your body happy :))).
Run well, Ann

Scott Dunlap said...

AWESOME! You made it in time to greet a new person on their first big day. What a great job you have!

Really looking forward to the reports of your European adventures!

Congrats to you and Sam...

SD