Sunday, January 2, 2011

It has been quite a year. But, I have learned to adjust, adapt, and explore more than just my love of running. At the end of November, I was able to lace up my shoes and begin running again. It was harder, slower, and shorter than I expected especially with all my doubt. I feared that the stress fracture would return. It was difficult to differentiate between pain and soreness in the beginning days and weeks. Finally, I consider myself back to running. I am at half the mileage that I was in July, but I feel stronger, more aware, and happy. Just the other day I went for a run in the Uwharrie National Park in North Carolina. It was a single track trail, but not exactly ideal running. It was rocky and the tree roots were covered by masses of leaves. With every step I risked spraining an ankle. I probably crossed the same creek ten times. Yet, I was smiling ear to ear. It was fun. I felt like a little kid again tromping through the leaves. Maybe that's what months away from running provides, presence; learning not to look back, seeing where I'm heading, and knowing that there will be unexpected rocks and twigs. Creativity has been essential. I am back painting. Learning to lose control with the paintbrush and just have fun. Every single time I end up painting, it ends up some shade of red. I am trying to branch out on my color scheme. You'd think exploring a new color would be easy after being injured, as it taught me a great deal about vulnerability, control, and inquiry. I am incredibly grateful for those that inspired me to be creative and trust that I would heal and be stronger for it. I have no idea what to expect in 2011. Possibly some yellow paintings. Maybe a chance at the Olympic Marathon Trials. Hopefully more smiles and tromping through leaves and mud. In the end, I'm excited about it, however it unfolds.

3 comments:

Buzz said...

Happy New Year

willgotthardt said...

Yes definitely yellow, and maybe blue(ish)!

Super glad you're back, lessons learned, stronger moving forward in all aspects.

Agree with Buzz, a happy new year for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great start to a New Year!