Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gearing up for Transrockies


The weekend after I completed Miwok Devon Crosby-Helms and I went on our first training run together. We did a section of the Ohlone course with a couple other runners. As we were out killing ourselves on the hills, Devon asked if I had heard of Transrockies. I hadn’t, but she gave me the basics and asked if I’d be interested in running it. That night, I went straight to the computer to find out more. As soon as I read about it, I wrote her saying heck yeah, lets do it! Rather quickly the two of us were committed to the race and eager to run as partners.

It is hard for me to believe Transrockies is only a week away. This whole year has been quite a whirlwind for me. I am in pure disbelief about my year so far and grateful that I love racing up mountains; it makes me incredibly happy. And, having 6 days of it in Colorado is going to bring tons of joy even if it means battling the altitude. Yes, the altitude is a factor, but I’ve learned all you can do is breathe and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Oh, and smile from time to time too! After my double whammy last weekend, I am confident about my body’s ability to recover and race multiple days. And, the fact that I pulled that off without much rest and sitting in a car for a long f’n time is pretty crazy in itself. I am looking forward to relaxing after each stage, rather than hoping in a car for several hours. I am also looking forward to the fact that I will be meeting several other runners both out on the mountains and at the campsites!

Honestly the most exciting part of my year has been the social aspect of running. I have met so many amazing people and I look forward to meeting even more folks at Transrockies. The community is incredible and it has made me even more outgoing in other aspects of my life. I used to show up, race, and leave. Now I show up, race, and spend a lot of time just chatting and socializing. Being my typical self, I’ve already started laying out what I’ll be bringing on my adventure (surely suggests that I am one excited runner). I will be all packed up and flying out Friday afternoon. Looking forward to spending 6 days running with Devon, exploring more of Colorado, napping, icing, smiling, and getting to do one thing that I love like crazy, run! I am going to go out there and trust my passion, my lungs, and legs and just have an f’n blast. More to come post Transrockies!

1 comment:

bjs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.