Sunday, May 3, 2009

My First 100k (I guess a girl can live on shot blocks alone... maybe)

I did it! 62 fucking miles. Not bad considering my farthest run was 40 miles and I'd only been building up the mileage in the three weeks prior. At the start of the race, I stayed close behind Kami Semick and Anita Oritz, fellow La Sportiva teammate. I just got a thrill out of watching them and seeing what they did in the beginning of the race. They are two amazing runners. I hung with them until we approached Muir Beach and then it seemed their pace picked up, so I just settled in and focused on running my own race.

At almost every aid station my friends, Will and Jordan, were there to support me. It was coming up to Pan Toll that I struggled the most. My hip has been giving me all kinds of problems (an issue I've been having for a few weeks) and I also just felt super nauseous. I told Will and Jordan to get me an ibuprofen at the Bolinis aid station. It was windy along Bolinis Ridge, but I felt kind of bad ass because at this point I was sporting a sports bra. I didn't feel cold, but it may just have added to the nausea. Either way I got my ibuprofen and they offered me some PB & honey, but there was no way I was going to eat anything. I was hurting bad and wanted to quit, but I just don't give up that easily. I continued to take shot bloks just cause I knew I needed calories (I don't want to see those things for a long time, eating them for 9 hours... blah). Anyway after I stopped to pee I felt a little better and I just continued to put one foot in front of the other. Coming back up to Bolinis aid station, it was super helpful hearing other runners cheering for me as they made their way out to Randall. My apologies for not saying good job back to all of you, I was hurting. When I hit Bolinis aid station again, Will and Jordan made me put a shirt and jacket on. Will started pacing me at this point and told me that at every aid station I had hit spits for a 9:10 exactly, keeping a consistent 9 minute mile pace the whole way.

I kept that consistency until we hit Tennessee Valley. Then I had to walk all the hills. At this point I was feeling really sick, but at one point I turned to Will and said, "I am really proud of myself." I was amazed that I was almost to the finish. I could hear people at the end. Once I got down the stairs, I gave a final kick and smiled the whole way in. I finished in 9:18. Kami won in 9:07 and Anita 9:10. I must of been high on finishing because I felt good for about 10 minutes, but then sick to my stomach until this morning. I am still not feeling 100% and I've been struggling to take down food. In fact it was a pretty restless night of sleep. It remains hard for me to take deep breaths and of course my body aches. But what did I expect to happen after 62 miles? Still feeling proud of mysel



(Photos courtesy of Brett Rivers)

14 comments:

David Ray said...

Geez, you feel like crap and still finish third? Tough, tough, tough. You continue to impress. Hope your tummy recovers quick.

Shot bloks are too, well, blocky. I go with the Sharkies. :)

Buzz said...

Great race; great report! (Frustrating to have no idea what is happening.) Being super-tough and pushing thru discomfort isn't something we want to do all the time, but it is something we do in ultras ... good for you ... and even while running your own race, you kept it close. Great.

kate said...

great job, Caitlin- take it easy now! Rest a bit...

Sara Montgomery said...

Way to go, Caitlin! Congrats on a great race!

Nicola Gildersleeve said...

First off, you fucking rock. Seriously! You know how to hurt. I am sure something you must feel when you go rock 25k's. Second, I always feel nauseous the entire day and I can hardly eat. I try, but it just doesn't want to go in. I usually just drink lots of water afterwards and try and eat something for dinner. Your body just won't feel good after eating all that shit (shot blocks or gels). I always feel hungry the next day!

Anonymous said...

Terrific job! As much as your talent speaks for itself you've got as tough a runner out there in Will G as your pacer. Awesome combination.

Devon said...

Congrats on a great race! It was so awesome to see you out there (and with a smile on your face pretty much the whole time no less!) and you really rocked it.

The stomach thing will pass. Try to eat really bland foods (like white rice mixed with yogurt) to get in the calories until it settles. After Vermont, I wasn't able to eat much of anything for nearly a day afterwards.

Congrats again and looking forward to running together soon when you are recovered!

Luis Velasquez said...

I told you I was going to see you in the passing!! Great run Caitlin, you are a superstar. Wow... what a way to run.

PS.. you looked great.. :)

Nathan said...

Great job out there. Those were some really tough conditions. A hell of a first 100k performance. Rest well.

Andy B. said...

Way to push through the discomfort and finish with such an incredible time despite the nausea. I think I would be nauseous from eating only shot blocks, too! ;-)

So, any change of mind regarding running Western States???

Dave - Atlanta Trails said...

what?!? You *stopped* to pee? wtf?

way to hang in there and tough it out. I didn't realize how close you were to Kami. You continue to impress and inspire!

Unknown said...

Great run! When you passed I could of mistaken you for a "Lung-gom-pa Runner of Tibet."

Check out the link- http://www.ultralegends.com/lung-gom-pa-runners-of-tibet/

Sean

HEATHERRUNS said...

You are very inspiring! Too bad about the nausea; I guess 'nothing worth doing is ever easy". I hope you felt this was worth doing. You are one tough girl!

Jo Lynn said...

Great job! I hope you heard me cheering for you, both times you came through the TV aid station. I'm sure you were quite obvlivious to us but you sure looked strong the second time through. I couldn't believe it. :)