Sunday, May 10, 2009

Arc

Good day yesterday. I went on a 20 miler with Devon Crosby-Helms, Gary Gellin, and Will Gotthardt. We ran in the Ohlone wilderness. I walked a lot of the hills, but body is feeling pretty good and happy. Been giving it lots of love since last weekend, swimming, mellow running, and practicing some yoga and pilates. Massage on Friday was pretty fucking fabulous. French fries and chocolate milk on the day following Miwok were also pretty fucking fabulous. Simple things can be so fucking fabulous.



Anyway, after my run yesterday, I was sipping wine with some girls, talking about boys, and how some are all willy nilly when it comes to kissing (Note I say some, I am not pointing any fingers. In fact, I can't remember a bad kisser since 7th grade, but according to the conversation bad kissers still exist into adulthood). Come on guys, you can't just throw a tongue in someone's mouth all chaotically and shit. As one girl said, "it (a kiss) has got to have an arc."

Alright this will all make sense in a second (I think), but bare with me, it will be a bit haphazard as well. The night before this conversation, I went to an arm balance workshop taught by Ido Portal. Learned a bit more about handstands and balance. But, the best thing about the workshop was a couple things he said regarding dedication and beauty. Someone asked him about repetitions of an exercise and he commented on push-ups, how most people want to see how many they can power through, but then asked when we'd all seen a really beautiful push-up. Made me think a great deal about the quality of what we do and the awareness that it takes to move our bodies beautifully. So where was I going with this? Who knows, I guess I just started to think about when I was in school for art. How in the end, I realized that my life is a piece of art. Something I strive for is being aware and creative in each day, each moment. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it is pretty fucking fabulous and beautiful. So I have to go back to the girl's comment for a moment, "it has got to have an arc"... kissing, life, moments, days, beauty...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like that. You know I am fond of the spiral in its representation of the ongoingness of our journey, of creativity, and feminine energy. Kinda cool that the arc is sort of the essential segment, always a part yet you cannot really say where one arc begins and others end... sort of like all those arcs come together and there you go, nice happy little spiral
:-) (and I will attest to the fact that there are some goofy kissers out there, tongue should be an arc yes, but a little 'give' is always a good thing too!)

Jozsef said...

Reading your blogs is always a very special pleasure, as is knowing that you're having such success with your running. You're such a fine role model, dear. You really should think about a book on how our attitude is not only a determinant of success in our endeavors, but also the quality of our lives. As you're showing us, attitude is a choice that doesn't require luck to achieve a worthwhile end. It's such a joy to see someone demonstrate how to have a satisfying and happy life. :)

Victoria said...

I am thoroughly jealous that you cannot remember a bad kiss since 7th grade. You will have to pass on your sorting technique, because it clearly works for you.

Devon said...

Fucking fabulous :)

saschasdad said...

Nice post Caitlin. Funny, but also sadly true sometimes.

Regarding your post-Miwok fries: try cheese fries next time with lots of salt. If they're good ones, that's pretty much the very best post-race meal on Earth.

And btw, great run at Miwok. It took me 5 Miwoks to run 9:18 and you did it on #1...nice.

Buzz said...

I haven't had a bad kiss since JrHS either, but since I'm kissing girls, that probably gives me an unfair competitive advantage. Or, due to the effects of unbridled lust, maybe I couldn't tell the difference. Or, even more likely, I couldn't but they could.

Jonathan Dayton said...

There's some pressure in this question, but, did I have an "arc"? I feel as though I did but am just interested in your thought. ;)

wcaitlin said...

I feel a bit disappointed that I have had a lack of goofy kissers... ok maybe not :). Like the spiral Jordan, good stuff. Victoria, sorting techniques are super secret, but I'll share them with you. Sean, I don't eat cheese, but if that changes I'll be sure to try the cheese fries. Buzz, guys do have unfair advantage although I am sure there are girls out there that aren't such great kissers too. And Jon, did you ever doubt your arc abilities... that was after 7th grade buddy.