Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So hungry...

It's Sunday April 12th, the day Will has planned a 40 mile run in Big Basin. I am eager and excited even with the previous night run (an "easy" hour where my stomach decided to give me all sorts of discomfort). At noon we are off. We accidentally take a 6 mile detour uphill, but we enjoy an easy pace, towering redwoods, and sunshine. We cruse back downhill and hop on the skyine to sea trail. Ok, mind you we're taking it the opposite direction of the 50k race next Sunday. The race has a net downhill, so this in turns means we have a net uphill. We underestimated this net uphill. It was one of those gradual grinds where you just fucking wish the hill would be steeper or just plain turn into a flat trail. At about 2 hours my stomach starts growling even with the morning bagel and yogurt and continuos Shot Bloks. I start dreaming about food. In the mean time, Will keeps having me run in front of him because whenever I am behind him I start fading back (a trend that he claims I started after Way too Cool). At about 4+ hours, Will reminds me that there are supplies for peanut butter and honey sandwiches in the truck. I suddenly become more upbeat and as we start the return I become confident that I'll make it. But, around 5+ hours, I realize I need to conserve my Shot Bloks and things start to change drastically. I spread my last two out. At this point Will has cruised out in front and taken a lead, I've fallen back. He slows down and I brake down. I am in tears, I can't make it I tell him. We've got 7+ miles to go. He motivates and I take the lead, but within a mile, I start crying again. I have to walk. I've never felt so hungry in all of my life. Pretty sure it is the first time I've broke into tears while running. We decide to take the road for the last 3/4 miles since it is now close to 7pm. I jog that painfully slow run where you want to go faster, but your body is saying listen lady this is all I got. I stop again, shit, I am going to get sick. Luckily the nausea passes and we start jogging again. I start to pick it up as we get super close, warm clothes and food are minutes away! We arrive at Will's truck at 7:25 pm. We've spent 7:25 hours on our feet. I can barely change my clothes. I kid you not, I think it took 5 minutes to get my sports bra off. Anyway, Will saves the day by handing me a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Food never tasted so good. I was back to my happy self. Lesson learned. Protein and fat are good on long runs... will find out Saturday...

7 comments:

Jack said...

I so long to have the longevity that you possess. To have so much strength of body and mind.

David Ray said...

Good to get that lesson learned in training. Sounds like a nice run with a happy ending. :)

Nicola Gildersleeve said...

I love/really hate those times. Its a complete bonk! Always over pack on food during training runs, that's what I have learned. What 50km are you doing? I am doing one as well but am unsure of what pace to go because I do want to have fresh legs for Miwok. Are you racing yours or taking it easy?

willgotthardt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy B. said...

I've been pretty hungry on some runs, but don't think it approached your "I'd eat meat" level. I'm assuming you are a vegetarian, which is why Will pointed it out as the "best line." I, myself, am a carnivore so meat is always appreciated and even longed for when particularly hungry. Way to push through "the hunger" and get it done.

But it sounds like your "coach's" training methods are a bit suspect, as they relate to nutrition! I'd start looking around for a new coach. ;-)

Luis Velasquez said...

Ha.. Amazing.. Us vegetarians are prone to be hungrier than the carnivorous type. :)

I think in any race there are two things that will make or break it... Nutrition and Pacing. Control both and you will be fine.

Wait you went on a 7 hour run with only cliff blocks?

Buzz said...

Hunger is good.

Why are you hungry? Because you are really putting out, so need something back. Your spirit sees something it wants and goes for it, and your body is smart enough to know it need something so it can support that.

Not being hungry might be considered a greater problem.